Benefits of Yoga
- Improved flexibility is one of the first and most obvious benefits of yoga. During your first class, you probably won’t be able to touch your toes, never mind do a backbend. But if you stick with it, you’ll notice a gradual loosening, and eventually, seemingly impossible poses will become possible.
- Strong muscles do more than look good. They also protect us from conditions like arthritis and back pain, and help prevent falls in elderly people. And when you build strength through yoga, you balance it with flexibility. If you just went to the gym and lifted weights, you might build strength at the expense of flexibility.
- Move more, eat less—that’s the adage of many a dieter. Yoga can help on both fronts. A regular practice gets you moving and burns calories, and the spiritual and emotional dimensions of your practice may encourage you to address any eating and weight problems on a deeper level. Yoga may also inspire you to become a more conscious eater.
- An important component of yoga is focusing on the present. Studies have found that regular yoga practice improves coordination, reaction time, memory, and even IQ scores. People who practice Transcendental Meditation demonstrate the ability to solve problems and acquire and recall information better—probably because they’re less distracted by their thoughts, which can play over and over like an endless tape loop.
Types of Yoga
New to yoga? Out of practice? Experienced yogi? Everyone can benefit from this series focusing on the proper alignment of basic yoga poses, breathwork, and meditation. $40 for the series. $35 each for family members. $12.00 drop-in class. Minimum 4 students.
(4) Mondays | 7:00pm – 8:00pm | May 7 to June 4 (no class May 28th)
Chair yoga is a gentle form of yoga that is practiced sitting on a chair or standing using the chair for support. This class is perfect for seniors or prenatal moms. $40 for the series. $35 each for family members. $12.00 drop-in class. Minimum 4 students.
(4) Tuesdays | 9:30am – 10:30am | May 8 – May 29
Yoga for All Abilities
A mixed level class with options at different levels so yogis of all levels can work together in the same class. No prior experience required. $40 for the series. $35 each for family members. $12.00 drop-in class. Minimum 4 students.
(4) Thursdays | 7:00pm – 8:00pm | May 10 – May 31
Yoga instructors: Marie Scicchitano